On the 25th November, we will be competing in the south London heat of the international Kids’ Lit Quiz for the tenth year in a row.
Our overwhelming highlight was triumphing in 2015 and representing the area in the National Finals in Oxford, and on two other occasions we have finished in the top three places. This week saw our first meeting in recruiting our next team to represent the school at KCS Wimbledon, who host the event, and we will be looking to better our tenth place finish from last year.
The pupils who do best in this competition are voracious readers and have spent much of their formative years with a nose in a book! We are looking for eight pupils from Years 6-8, so if you have a child who has any of these attributes, this Quiz Club could be an activity they might excel at. We are looking for children who have a combination of:
- A good memory for book facts, authors and is generally well read,
- General knowledge regarding subjects as diverse as mythology and cartoons,
- Good knowledge of superheroes, character names and book-related pop culture,
- Good recall on childhood nursery rhymes and picture books,
- A love of classic fiction.
In our sessions we run fun practices, sometimes with buzzers, and the eight strongest players will represent the school. Our first practice (featured in the photo below) attracted a very good crowd, but would like to see as many children involved as possible.
Mr Jones (Senior Librarian and Archivist)
The first practice of this year's Kids' Lit Quiz